That Marc Methot shot did indeed miss the net.

The NHL's situation room looked at the Ottawa Senators defenceman's blast in overtime against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday night and determined it went wide, not through the net as some suggested.

Replays made it difficult to determine whether the puck went in, but a league spokesman confirmed that officials reviewed the shot and on Monday consulted an overhead view.


The Senators lost the game in a shootout, giving them just one point and making it more difficult for them to make the playoffs with three games remaining.

"If it went in they should make it right and give them the two points," Maple Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul tweeted Monday. "I can't tell to be honest, but I'm sure there is better views than I have. If I was on the other side I can only imagine what I'd be saying."

Asked after the 3-2 shootout loss how much he missed by, Methot said: "Not much, I don't think. I'm going to tell you guys I didn't miss by much. It could've been three feet, I don't know."